Turmeric in breakfast porridge? Oh, yes! Although turmeric is mostly used in salty and savory recipes, and mostly in curry, it's great to change things up and add a little bit of turmeric to smoothies, juices, desserts, or porridge. This gluten-free turmeric rice porridge with coconut milk is super easy to make, delicious, and perfect for a great start of the day.
If you love oatmeal for breakfast, you might wanna check out vegan porridge made out of different ingredients, such as rice, millet, or quinoa.
In this recipe, I used plain white rice flour for the best consistency and texture.
Coconut milk rice porridge is such a comfort food. It is creamy, light, and perfect for a healthy breakfast or delicious vegan dessert.
Why you will love this gluten-free turmeric rice porridge with coconut milk
- It's vegan - This porridge is vegan which is perfect for your vegan friends, or family members! But this dish is suitable for everyone, not only for vegans/vegetarians.
- It's gluten-free - This turmeric porridge is naturally gluten-free.
- Perfect for a breakfast - This porridge is super a easy and delicious meal to make for a breakfast.
- Super simple - This porridge recipe is a one-pot recipe and you can have a delicious porridge done in less than 10 minutes!
- It's colorful - This porridge is perfectly colored because of the turmeric. Add even more colorful fruits on top and I'm sure kids will love this meal!
- It has anti-inflammatory spices - turmeric is known for its health benefits. Why not add it into the breakfast porridge and create such a healthy breakfast?
- 100% delicious
How do you make porridge taste nice?
To make your porridge taste nice, I highly suggest cooking your porridge with plant milk or adding different types of spices (cinnamon, cacao powder, or carob powder), and always top your porridge with fruit.
You can also add nut butter, vegan Nutella, or butter.
What fruit is best with porridge?
The best fruit with porridge is banana or berries. They will add nice flavors and bananas can sweeten up your porridge naturally.
But feel free to use different types of fruits, such as pineapple, kiwis, grapes, or peaches.
First, prepare all of the ingredients you will need for your coconut milk porridge.
You will need:
- Rice flour - this ingredient is quite different, but trust me it works great in porridge. It gives the porridge a nice and smooth texture.
- Turmeric - this is our main ingredient. It created such a beautiful color, earthy flavor and the porridge is packed with anti- inflammatory properties.
- Coconut milk - coconut milk gives the porridge creaminess and such a delightful flavor.
- Date syrup - this porridge is naturally sugar-free. Date syrup created caramel flavors, which worked wonderfully with coconut milk.
- Cinnamon - cinnamon is a must in porridge, especially in this one.
These are the main ingredients for your porridge.
POSSIBLE INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS
This recipe is easily customizable. Here are some ideas:
- You can replace date syrup with agave.
- Coconut milk can be easily replaceable with any plant milk of your choice.
- Rice flour can be replaced with rice flakes.
- You can also add protein powder to this poriddge for some extra protein.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Put all of these ingredients into a medium-sized saucepan and cook until thick and creamy.
If you like your porridge thick, cook for about 5 minutes, but if you prefer runny and creamy porridge feel free to cook it for about 3 minutes.
You can also add banana to porridge to make it more creamy and naturally sweet. Simply mash the banana and cook it along with the porridge until creamy.
Serve the porridge with fresh fruit and nut butter. Enjoy!
This gluten-free turmeric rice porridge is perfect for a quick breakfast. It is creamy, smooth and so delicious. Turmeric created a beautiful color and with a combination of coconut milk, cinnamon, and fresh berries created such a perfect breakfast.
Serve this gluten-free rice porridge with fresh fruits such as blueberries, bananas, or strawberries. You can also top the porridge with nut butter.
This porridge would be great with coconut yogurt, fresh pomegranate, or sliced kiwi fruit.
Store this porridge in the fridge for up to 1 day. Porridge is best eaten fresh. I highly recommend making fresh porridge and eating it right away.
You can't freeze the porridge, because it will become watery. Never put your porridge into the freezer.
Is porridge better with milk or water?
The porridge is always better with milk. Milk gives the porridge creaminess and more flavors. The water porridge is flavorless and can have a different consistency.
You can choose a variety of plant-based milk to make your porridge with. I highly suggest using soy milk or coconut milk for the creaminess. But very nice is oat milk or cashew milk.
You can make dairy-free porridge very easy.
What can I put on my porridge instead of sugar?
Instead of sugar, you can sweeten up your porridge with date syrup, agave, or maple syrup.
There are plenty of natural sweeteners. You can choose from syrups, natural powdered sweeteners, or even dates.
How is a porridge made?
Porridge is usually made with some type of grain that has flour-like consistency. It is cooked with milk into a creamy and smooth consistency.
How do you make porridge better?
To make your porridge better you can add spices, such as cinnamon, cacao, or carob powder, and top your porridge with fruits or nut butter.
If you want your porridge a little extra delicious, add vegan butter for some creaminess and smooth taste.
How do I use fresh turmeric?
Fresh turmeric can be used as a turmeric powder. However fresh turmeric has a more vibrant color and stronger taste.
In this recipe, you can grate the turmeric into the porridge or simply chop it into small pieces.
Is raw turmeric better than powder?
Raw turmeric is no better than powder. They are both the same. It depends on your preferences which one you are going to use.
If you plan to add turmeric into juices or you plan to eat it raw, simply use fresh turmeric. But other than that turmeric powder will be more than enough.
Can I make my own rice flour?
Yes, you can make your own rice flour easily at home. You just need to bend rice into a flour-like consistency in a high-speed blender.
You can also use an electric coffee grinder, for a smooth consistency.
But rice is naturally very dry and hard, so without a powerful blender, you won't be able to create smooth and flour-like consistency. So make super you are using a powerful blender.
MORE PORRIDGE RECIPES:
Gluten-free turmeric rice porridge with coconut milk
- 3 tbsp rice flour
- 1/3 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp date syrup *or agave
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Put all of these ingredients into a medium-sized saucepan and bring the porridge to a boil. Cook until thickens.
- Serve the porridge with fresh fruits and peanut butter. Enjoy.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST YOU CAN FOLLOW ME HERE, AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE ON YOUR GLUTEN-FREE & VEGAN BREAKFAST BOARD!
This post was created on 12.8.2020 and updated on 17.3.2022.