Gluten-free bread can be challenging to make especially when you are new to the gluten-free world. But don't worry, you found the best recipe. This bread is not only gluten-free but also yeast-free and egg-free. This is truly the best gluten-free and yeast-free bread, you will ever know.
This gluten-free and yeast-free bread recipe is also very easy to make and requires only one bowl. There is no need for proofing the dough, so when you combine all the ingredients you can put it into the oven and bake it immediately. This recipe saves you a lot of time.
Did I mention that this bread is made with only 8 ingredients? This gluten and yeast-free bread is made with a couple of gluten-free flours, salt, starch, and psyllium husk. These are the main ingredients of this recipe.
Learn how to make gluten-free yeast-free bread easily at home.
What is psyllium husk?
Psyllium husk comes from a plant called Plantago Ovata. It contains fiber which is important for our digestion. The most important thing is that when it touches the water it will create a gel-like consistency.
Psyllium also acts like yeast in traditional yeasted recipes. So it is perfect for those who are allergic to yeast. That's why I decided to make a gluten-free bread recipe without yeast because it is very simple and easy.
By using psyllium husk the bread will be light, and fluffy and it will rise beautifully when baking. This is our secret ingredient when making good gluten-free bread. Yeast-free gluten-free vegan bread can be so delicious when you know how to make it.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS GLUTEN-FREE YEAST-FREE BREAD?
- Vegan – This bread is perfect for your vegan friends or family! But this recipe is suitable for everyone, not only for vegans/vegetarians.
- Gluten-free – This flourless bread is naturally gluten-free.
- Dairy-free - This recipe is also dairy-free.
- Easy to make – The full recipe is so easy and simple.
- Yeast-free - Did you know this recipe is also yeast-free? Instead of traditional yeast, I used psyllium husk, a natural ingredient to make any gluten-free recipe fluffier and lighter. Just like yeast would. Gluten-free bread without yeast is also very delicious and lighter for digestion.
- Psyllium husk - whole - This ingredient is key in this gluten-free no yeast bread recipe. It makes the bread fluffy and soft. It acts like yeast. By using psyllium husk there is no need for xanthan gum or any other similar ingredients.
- Water - We need liquid in this recipe. Water is perfect for this dairy-free quick bread recipe.
- Buckwheat flour - Buckwheat flour is the best flour for gluten-free baking and cooking when it comes to savory recipes. If you can, try to use white buckwheat flour. It has less aroma and better taste.
- Rice flour - The second-best flour when it comes to gluten-free recipes. This flour is neutral and it has a perfect consistency. You can also use brown rice flour.
- Corn flour - This flour gives nice color and a mild taste. It is also very popular and easy to find at the store.
- Baking powder - This ingredient is a must in baking. If you want your gluten-free bread extra fluffy, you can use EXTRA 1/3 tsp of baking soda.
- Salt - Just a little salt will be just enough.
- Cornstarch - We need cornstarch for the bread dough and also for coating the bread before baking so the bread has a crispy crust.
POSSIBLE INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS
This recipe is easily customizable. Here are some ideas:
- You can replace corn flour with lentil flour.
- Cornstarch can be replaced with potato starch or tapioca flour.
Let's make this homemade gluten-free bread without yeast.
Step 1: In a small bowl combine psyllium husk with water. Set it aside for at least 30 minutes or until the gel consistency is created.
Step 2: In a separate large bowl combine buckwheat flour, rice flour, corn flour, baking powder, salt, and cornstarch. Combine and add psyllium gel. Knead the dough with your hands or use a stand mixer. You don't need to knead the dough for 15 minutes or so. Knead the dough until all of these ingredients are combined and there are no lumps of flour visible.
Step 3: Prepare a baking pan lined with parchment paper and form a loaf in your hands using cornstarch. The bread dough will be sticky so you have to use the cornstarch for coating and shaping the bread loaf.
When you have created the loaf, cut the bread a few times on top and sprinkle fresh water onto parchment paper. Bake the bread for 1 hour.
When the bread is fully baked the crust should be brown and crispy. Don't slice the bread when it's hot! Slice the bread only when it's cold or has room temperature.
Serve this gluten-free and yeast-free bread with hummus, and veggie spread, or eat it just like regular toast or spread the butter on the toasted bread. It's so delicious in many ways.
This vegan no-yeast recipe is perfect toasted or grilled on a pan with butter.
Store this no yeast gluten-free bread in a fridge to keep it fresh. The bread usually lasts for about 4 days. You can also freeze the bread easily for up to 4 months max.
Tips and tricks for PERFECT no-yeast bread
- Give psyllium time. Psyllium needs to absorb the water and create a gel. We need this gel because it will combine all of the ingredients together and it also acts like yeast. The bread will be fluffy and airy! It is crucial to combine psyllium husk with water and SET IT ASIDE for at least 30 minutes or more. Feel free to leave the mixture overnight in a fridge.
- Use listed gluten-free flours. Yes, you can do some minor changes, but the result won't be the same.
- The dough will be sticky, to form a loaf. Help yourself with cornstarch. Do not mix in the cornstarch when the dough is ready. Just coat your hands in cornstarch and shape a loaf of bread. Carefully transfer to the baking pan and you are good to go!
- Cut the bread on top multiple times. This step is also important because the bread might crack. To avoid cracking simply slice it multiple times on top and it will be just perfect.
Can I use a gluten-free flour mix?
I highly suggest using the listed gluten-free flour in this recipe.
By changing the ingredients the bread will have a different texture.
What should I keep in mind while making gluten-free bread?
The process of making gluten-free bread might be a little bit different. Also when making a gluten-free no yeast recipe the bread doesn't need proofing. You will need to combine the dough and bake it immediately.
Also, psyllium husk is a must when baking gluten-free bread. it makes the whole bread fluffy and lighter.
Do gluten-free bread have yeast?
It depends on the bread. In this recipe, I made gluten-free bread without yeast.
It is very possible to make good gluten-free bread without yeast.
More gluten-free bread recipes:
The best gluten-free and yeast-free bread
- 3 tbsp psyllium husk whole
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 3/4 cup corn flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- In a small bowl combine psyllium husk with water and set it aside for about 30 minutes. It should create gel-like consistency.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine buckwheat flour, corn flour, rice flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Next, add psyllium gel and combine. The dough should be very sticky - this is how it should be.
- Prepare a baking pan lined with parchment paper and create a loaf using your hands and cornstarch.
- Cut the bread on top a few times to prevent the bread from cracking.
- Bake at 400F (200°C) for 1 hour.
- When the bread is completely baked, wait until it's cold and then serve. Don't slice the bread when it's warm.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST YOU CAN FOLLOW ME HERE, AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE ON THE GLUTEN-FREE BREAD RECIPES BOARD!
*This recipe was created on 24.8.2020 and updated on 9.1.2023.