Who doesn't like Nutella? The combination of chocolate and roasted hazelnuts is too good. But what if I told you that you can make a more accessible version at home? This vegan chocolate hazelnut spread tastes just like Nutella but without unnecessary ingredients.
This dairy-free chocolate spread recipe is also very easy to make. You will need only 3 ingredients, which are hazelnuts, cacao powder, and sweetener. This dairy-free hazelnut spread tastes just like a storebought Nutella - or even better. It is more flavorful and creamier.
This is a vegan Nutella recipe with cocoa powder, not chocolate! Yes, you can make Nutella with chocolate, but this is a more affordable and creamier version.
Let's go to the kitchen and make healthy vegan Nutella in a few minutes! This is truly the best-ever Nutella recipe.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS VEGAN CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT SPREAD?
- Vegan – This homemade vegan Nutella is perfect for your vegan friends or family! But this recipe is suitable for everyone, not only for vegans/vegetarians.
- Gluten-free – This dairy-free Nutella is naturally gluten-free.
- Dairy-free - This recipe is also dairy-free.
- Easy to make – The full recipe is so easy and simple.
- Cacao powder - The cacao makes everything better, right? Especially with hazelnuts. This is the best combination.
- Roasted hazelnuts - Roasted hazelnuts are the star of this recipe. They have so much flavor and a nutty aroma.
Ways to use vegan Nutella?
There are so many ways you can use this Nutella. You can use it as a traditional Nutella in so many sweet recipes. But to be honest, we all love eating Nutella straight out of the jar.
My favorite ways of using Nutella are:
- Toast or bagels
- Ice cream
- In different types of pastries
- Rice cakes
- By spoon
- Hazelnuts - This is the main ingredient of this easy vegan Nutella recipe.
- Cacao powder - Chocolate and hazelnuts are the flavors of Nutella, by adding cacao powder you can easily mimic this flavor.
- Powdered sugar - You can use whatever sweetener you can but feel free to use basic powdered sugar or powdered brown sugar.
POSSIBLE INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS
This recipe is easily customizable. Here are some ideas:
- You can replace cacao powder with carob powder or melted vegan chocolate.
- Powdered sugar can be replaced with powdered brown sugar or agave/maple syrup. You can also try a vegan Nutella recipe with dates, but the consistency will be different and more thicker.
How to make vegan Nutella? Red more! This is the best way how to make chocolate spread at home.
Step 1: Roast the whole hazelnuts in the oven or on a pan until shiny and deep brown. Wait until the hazelnuts are cooled down and carefully remove the skins. You can rub them into your hands.
Step 2: Into a processor add roasted hazelnuts, cacao powder, and sugar. Blend until smooth and creamy. It will take 5-8 minutes. Enjoy! This is the best alternative to traditional Nutella.
Tip: If you wouldn't roast the hazelnuts and use raw cacao and sugar you can make raw Nutella.
Serve this vegan chocolate hazelnut spread on pancakes, crepes, toast, or oatmeal. Even though this is a vegan Nutella recipe, you can use it just like a traditional Nutella.
Store this plant-based Nutella in the jar in a fridge for up to 1 week.
Tips for making this Vegan Nutella perfectly
- Roast hazelnuts. This step is crucial for good and creamy Nutella. The nuts will need only a few minutes but it is so necessary.
- If you can peel ALL OF THE NUTS. Yes, it's work but it's so worthy. The vegan chocolate spread will be smoother than ever.
- Use powdered sugar or liquid sweetener, not any other sweetener.
- Blend the vegan Nutella until really smooth. You can use a food processor or a high-speed blender, but blend it for few minutes for the best consistency.
Is this Nutella vegan and gluten-free?
Yes, this recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
Does homemade Nutella need to be refrigerated?
I recommend putting the homemade Nutella into the fridge so it lasts longer.
More chocolate recipes:
Vegan chocolate hazelnut spread
- Food processor or a high-speed blender
- 1 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar or liquid sweetener
- Roast the chestnuts in the oven or on a pan until shiny and golden brown. Cool them down and peel off the skins.
- Into the blender add hazelnuts, cacao powder, and sugar. Blend for 5-8 minutes or until super creamy.
- Store in a jar in a fridge for up to 1 week. Enjoy!