Creamy, flavorful and so colorful. These Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes are so delicious! They are perfect for a healthy dinner or simple lunch.
I love simple recipes, just like these vegan stuffed potatoes. The only thing you need to do is to just bake sweet potatoes and then fill them with yummy toppings.
The combination of creamy sweet potatoes, spicy guacamole, sweet corn, red beans, and coconut yogurt is the best. If you love flavorful meals, this is a great recipe for you to make.
Why you will love these Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes
- Vegan - This dish is perfect for your vegan friends or family members! But these Mexican potatoes are suitable for everyone, not only for vegans/vegetarians.
- Gluten-free - These stuffed potatoes are naturally gluten-free.
- Easy to make - The full recipe is so easy and very simple to make!
- Flavorful - These Mexican stuffed potatoes are full of flavors!
- So creamy - The combination of creamy sweet potato, light guacamole, and soft coconut yogurt is so good!
- 100% delicious
Toppings for loaded baked potatoes
You can add different types of topping for loaded baked potatoes, including sweet or savory.
In this recipe I used:
- Red beans
- Pico de Gallo
- Coconut yogurt
- Jalapeno *optional
These ingredients created the best flavors.
The corn is sweet, guacamole is creamy but spicy and refreshing, pico de Gallo is such a classic but still very fragrant and flavorful and the combination of these ingredients is SO DELICIOUS!
- Sweet potatoes - Sweet potatoes are perfect in this vegan dish. They are sweet, creamy, and perfectly flavored.
- Red beans - Red beans are wonderful in Mexican recipes, however, if you can't find red beans simply use black beans.
- Corn - Corn gives this dish sich a pleasant sweet taste.
- Avocado - A Mexican dish is not complete without creamy guacamole. This is a must!
- Tomatoes - The combination of fresh tomatoes, onion, and cilantro is simply the best.
- Onion - Such a perfect ingredient for guacamole and pico de gallo.
- Lemon juice - Lemon juice enhances the flavors of guacamole.
- Cilantro - If you love cilantro, you know. The whole dish is a whole another experience with cilantro. But if you are not a fan of cilantro, skip this step.
- Coconut yogurt - This ingredient gives the whole dish a lot more flavors and creaminess. You can also use vegan sourcream instead, but coconut yogurt created such a delicate taste and flavors.
- Jalapeno *optional - If you love spicy meals, feel free to add extra jalapeno on top!
POSSIBLE INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS
This recipe is easily customizable. Here are some ideas:
- You can replace red beans with black beans.
- Coconut yogurt can be easily replaceable with vegan sour cream.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1: First, you will need to bake sweet potatoes.
Peel the sweet potatoes and carefully stab them a few times from each side using a knife.
Bake them for about 1 hour or until tender.
Step 2: Next, prepare pico de Gallo by combining chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, cilantro, and lemon juice.
Step 3: Set it aside and create guacamole by mashing avocado and adding black pepper, salt, lemon juice, and chopped jalapenos.
When the sweet potatoes are cooked, cut them in the half and mash the inside with a fork.
Step 4: Then add cooked red beans, pico de Gallo, guacamole, corn, and coconut yogurt. Enjoy!
These Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes are perfect for a healthy vegan dinner. The full recipe is so simple, easy to make, and very delicious. If you want something easy, healthy, and nutritious, you can't miss this recipe.
Serve these vegan stuffed potatoes with some extra cilantro and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
You can also add some sliced jalapeno, for some extra spiciness.
Store these vegan loaded sweet potatoes in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
I don't recommend freezing these potatoes, because they might change the consistency.
However, they are the best freshly baked and eaten within a few hours.
Are sweet potatoes gluten-free?
Yes, sweet potatoes are naturally gluten-free.
If you are gluten intolerant, this is good news for you!
What if you are allergic to sweet potatoes?
If you are allergic to sweet potatoes, you can omit them with regular potatoes.
This meal will taste different, but it will be still delicious.
Do you need to stab sweet potatoes before baking?
Yes! You need to stab sweet potatoes before baking multiple times because they are full of juicy liquid that comes out when baking.
Definitely don't skip this step!
Is it better to boil or bake sweet potatoes?
For this recipe, it's definitely better to bake the sweet potatoes in the oven. But if you can't bake the sweet potatoes for some reason, boiling them is also OK!
More sweet potato recipes
Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes - vegan
- 2 large sweet potatoes
Pico de gallo
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium jalapeno
- 2 tbsp lemon juice *or lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1 large avocado
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium jalapeno
- 1 cup cooked red beans
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/3 cup coconut yogurt *or vegan sourcream
- First, peel the sweet potatoes and stab them a few times from each side. Bake them for about 1 hour at 400F (200°C)
- Meanwhile, prepare pico de gallo. In a small bowl combine chopped tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lemon juice, jalapeno, and salt.
- Next, make guacamole by mashing an avocado and adding chopped onion, jalapeno, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- When the potatoes are baked, cut them in half and carefully mash the inside with a fork. Add red beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, corn, and coconut yogurt. Enjoy!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST YOU CAN FOLLOW ME HERE, AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE ON YOUR GLUTEN-FREE & VEGAN DINNER BOARD!
This post was created on 1.7.2020 and updated on 2.4.2022.