Lentil soup is perfect for cozy days. This soup is packed with flavors, that everyone will enjoy. Try this easy carrot lentil soup for a lunch or cozy dinner.
In this soup, I used green lentils that created a perfect earthy flavor. The combination of smoked paprika, nutty lentils, and sweet carrots created the best flavors. This soup feels like a warm hug in a bowl.
The carrot and lentil soup recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. Learn how to make carrot and lentil soup today!
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH THIS SOUP?
This soup is perfect on its own, but to make it more filling you can serve it with fresh sourdough bread, tortillas, or naan bread.
You can also pour the soup over rice and make this soup hearty and delicious.
That's why this everyday carrot lentil soup is perfect even if you have nothing at home.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS CARROT LENTIL SOUP
- Vegan – This soup is perfect for your vegan friends or family! But this lentil carrot soup is suitable for everyone, not only for vegans/vegetarians.
- Gluten-free – This carrot and lentil soup is naturally gluten-free.
- Dairy-free - This recipe is also dairy-free.
- Easy to make – The full recipe is so easy and simple.
- Lentils - This is the main ingredient of this green lentil and carrot soup. Lentils are hearty, filling, and very delicious.
- Carrots - Carrots make any soup better. They are bright in color and so flavorful.
- Oil - Frying garlic in the oil is essential in this lentil soup recipe. It enhances all the flavors. You can use whatever oil you want, such as olive oil, coconut oil, etc.
- Minced garlic - Garlic is a must in any cozy soup. It just makes anything better.
- Veggie broth powder - Veggie broth powder is perfect to make any soup more flavorful.
- Potatoes - Potatoes make this soup so creamy.
- Carrots - Another main ingredient of this recipe. Carrots are perfectly sweet and delicious.
- Water - to cook all the ingredients you need water or veggie stock. See the notes below the recipe.
- Bay leaf - For better digestion always use the bay leaf in soups or stews. It also gives a very nice flavor.
- Cooked green lentils - For this recipe, we are going to use green lentils. Please don't try to replace them why different types of lentils.
- Salt and pepper - A must ingredient.
- Paprika and smoked paprika - These two ingredients just make this soup way better. Paprika is naturally sweet, but the smoked paprika gives this soup a nice smoky flavor. This is the best combination.
- Crushed chili - This ingredient is optional, but if you love spicy soup this is perfect in this recipe. Make spicy carrot and lentil soup which is perfect on cold days.
POSSIBLE INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS
This recipe is easily customizable. Here are some ideas:
- You can replace veggie broth powder with veggie stock. Just use veggie stock instead of water.
- Minced garlic can be replaced with garlic powder.
Let's make a recipe for carrot and lentil soup.
Step 1: This is a one-pot recipe, so you will need a larger one. In a large pot fry garlic in oil until golden brown. Add veggie stock powder and cook for about 30 seconds. Add cubed potatoes, carrots, bay leaf, and water. Close the lid and simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
Step 2: When the veggies are half-cooked, add cooked lentils and spices. Cook for another 15 minutes or until the veggies are completely cooked.
Step 3: When the soup is done, you might wanna add extra salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Serve this carrot lentil soup with freshly baked bread. Enjoy!
Store this easy carrot and lentil soup in a fridge for up to 4 days. You can also freeze it for up to 2-3 months.
Tips for making the best carrot lentil soup:
- Use green lentils. For this recipe try not to use any other lentils, such as red or black lentils. Use only green lentils.
- Add spices to the last part of the recipe. The more you cook the soup the less intense the spices will be. So if your soup is flavorless add even more spices at the end.
- Smoked paprika makes all the difference. There is something special and cozy about green lentils and smoked paprika.
- If you want your soup extra healthy, add more veggies like celery, parsley, sweet potato, etc.
How long does carrot and lentil soup last in the fridge?
This soup will last for up to 3-4 days.
Can you make lentil soup without carrots?
Yes, you can. But the soup will be less flavorful. Try to use sweet potatoes instead.
How do you make lentil soup thicker?
If you want your lentil soup thicker you can blend 1 cup of the soup (with lentils and veggies) in a blender and pour it back into the soup.
The other way is to combine 1/2 cup of water with 2 tbsp of rice flour and pour it into the soup. Bring the soup to a boil and the consistency will be thicker.
More vegan soup recipes:
The best vegan lentil soup
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp veggie broth powder *
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cooked green lentils
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp crushed chili *optional
- In a large pot add oil and fry minced garlic until golden. Then add veggie broth powder and cook for a few seconds, until the flavors are combined.
- Next, add chopped potatoes, carrots, bay leaf, and water. Cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Now it's time to add cooked lentils, salt, pepper, paprika, and smoked paprika. Cover with a lid and simmer for about 15 minutes or until veggies are cooked.
- Serve with a slice of fresh bread. Enjoy!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST YOU CAN FOLLOW ME HERE, AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE ON THE SOUP BOARD!
This recipe was created on 31.5.2021 and updated on 2.1.2023.