Tortillas can be very easy to make. You just need the right type of flour to make them. I was experimenting with chickpea flour before, but I think this recipe is even better. I love how simple this recipe is. This recipe for simple buckwheat tortillas, which are gluten-free and vegan, is so good.
These wheat-free tortillas are not falling apart and they are very stretchy!
You wouldn't believe how easy is to make gluten-free vegan wraps. This tortilla recipe contains 2 ingredients - buckwheat flour and water. Fill the buckwheat wrap with veggies, rice, and beans and you can have the easiest lunch.
The buckwheat flour tortilla recipe is perfect for lunch dinner or even as a quick snack.
Learn how to make buckwheat tortillas.
Why you will love these simple buckwheat tortillas
- Vegan - This side dish is perfect for your vegan friends or family members! But these buckwheat tortillas are suitable for everyone, not only for vegans/vegetarians.
- Gluten-free - These tortillas are naturally gluten-free.
- Easy to make - The full recipe is so simple and you can create homemade tortillas in under 20 minutes!
- Contains 2 ingredients - This recipe contains only 2 ingredients which is incredible!
How to spice up your tortillas?
Once you have the base batter made, you can pretty much add anything you like! I added some oregano, garlic powder, and salt, but you can also use:
- Black pepper
- Onion powder
This recipe for simple buckwheat tortillas, which are gluten-free and vegan, is absolutely delicious and very easy to make. These gluten-free tortilla wraps are not sticking to a pan, so it is wonderful! This recipe is by far the best one!
If you are asking which ingredients do I need to make buckwheat wraps, here they are:
- Buckwheat flour - Buckwheat flour is the best flour to make these tortillas. It has the best consistency and tortillas will not fall apart. This flour is perfect for this recipe. No other flour is needed or combining different types of gluten-free flours. You can also make your own homemade buckwheat flour by blending buckwheat groats in a high-speed blender.
- Water - This is our second ingredient. For this recipe you will need only buckwheat flour and water - that's it! No need for plant-based milk or any other liquid ingredient. Water is more than enough.
Step 1: In a medium-sized bowl combine buckwheat flour and water and whisk until there are no lumps of flour visible. The batter should smooth and creamy.
You can also add some herbs and spices, but this is absolutely optional.
Step 2: Cook them on a non-stick pan from both sides for about 30 seconds over medium-high heat and they are pretty much done. You can serve them with veggies, rice, hummus, or beans. These are the best gluten-free flatbread wrap recipe.
How to eat these buckwheat wraps? Serve these buckwheat tortillas with hummus, beans, fried tofu, lettuce, or rice. There are no limitations. Simply fill them with your favorite ingredients and enjoy!
Buckwheat wraps can be enjoyed with so many things, here are some of my favorite combinations:
- Hummus, rice, fried tofu, lettuce, avocado, sriracha
- Guacamole, rice, fried tofu, tomatoes, lettuce
- Mashed chickpeas, mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber
Store these simple buckwheat tortillas in the fridge for up to 48 hours.
I don’t recommend freezing them, because they might change the consistency.
However, they are the best freshly cooked and eaten within a few hours.
Tips and tricks for PERFECT buckwheat tortillas
- Use light buckwheat flour if you don't like the taste of buckwheat. There are so many people who can't stand the taste of buckwheat. In that case, buy light buckwheat flour which has a better taste and lighter color.
- The batter will be thicker than the crepe batter, but that's ok. Help yourself with a spoon to spread out the batter thinly. It takes some practice but tortillas will be thin and perfect.
- Cook them from both sides - always!
- Don't replace the buckwheat flour. These tortillas work only with this type of flour.
What is the best flour for tortillas?
In a store, you can find different varieties of gluten-free tortillas. So it is very hard to say what is the best flour to use.
I feel like you need to experiment and see what works for you. We all have different tastes and opinions, so the best way for you to know is just to try! But stay away from very dry flours, because you won't be able to create tortillas.
In this recipe, I used buckwheat flour. I love to use buckwheat flour in many recipes. It has a mild nutty taste and works perfectly in many gluten-free recipes, including this one. You don't even need to combine different types of flour because this one is perfect on its own.
How do you make buckwheat flour?
You can make buckwheat flour easily at home. Simply add buckwheat groats into a high-speed blender or a food processor and blend until smooth and flourlike consistency.
Can you make buckwheat tortillas ahead?
Yes, you can. These tortillas can be made a few hours ahead or even 24 hours ahead.
Also, if your tortillas are crispy the next day, you can cut them into tortilla chips and fry them in a pan with a little bit of oil and seasonings. Serve them just like regular chips.
How to reheat buckwheat tortillas?
You can reheat them in the microwave or on a stove with a non-stick pan for a few seconds from both sides. But keep an eye on them because they might get crispy very easily.
More buckwheat recipes:
You can find a full recipe in the video!
Simple buckwheat tortillas - gluten-free and vegan
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup water + 2 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp your favorite seasonings *optional
- In a large bowl combine all of these ingredients. Create a smooth and creamy batter.
- Cook the tortillas on a non-stick pan from both sides until golden. To make thin tortillas spread the batter with a spoon.
- Serve these tortillas with fresh veggies, tofu, hummus, or rice. Enjoy!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST YOU CAN FOLLOW ME HERE, AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE ON YOUR GLUTEN-FREE & VEGAN DESSERTS BOARD!
This recipe was created on 14.9.2020 and updated on 16.1.2023.