Simple veggie coconut curry recipe - gluten-free vegan (one-pot)
Fragrant, spicy, flavorful, and creamy. Yes, I'm talking about this simple veggie coconut curry recipe, that is gluten-free and vegan. This vegan mixed vegetable curry is flavorful, spicy, and perfect for weekday dinners.
This gluten-free vegetable curry is very easy to make and so simple. You will need only a handful of ingredients to create such a delicious vegan family dinner.
This curry is dairy-free, vegan, and naturally gluten-free.
Why you will love this easy veggie coconut curry recipe
- This curry is vegan which is perfect for your vegan friends, or family members! But this dish is suitable for everyone, not only for vegans/vegetarians.
- This homemade curry is naturally gluten-free.
- Perfect for dinner/lunch.
- This curry dish is super simple. You can make this curry in under 30 minutes.
- It is perfectly spicy. Not too much, but enough to create such a nice kick.
- So creamy. This dish wouldn't be complete without coconut milk and coconut yogurt. These ingredients create an amazing combination.
- 100% delicious
How do you make veggie curry taste better?
Curry is a meal that has stronger flavors. To make curry taste better, you will need to add more spices, salt, or coconut milk. Adjust these ingredients to a taste and you have an amazingly delicious curry.
You can also create even a stronger taste using different types of vegetables such as garlic, sweet potato broccoli, or corn.
There are no limits when making curry. You can add whatever vegetables you like, spices, and of course, your favorite brand of coconut milk.
For this simple veggie coconut curry you will need:
- oil - spices fried with oil create even stronger flavors. But if you are oil-free simply replace oil with a splash of water.
- garlic - garlic is such an important ingredient in many meals including curry.
- curry seasonings - you can use curry powder or curry paste. Curry seasoning works for me for many reasons. They are reasonalby priced, perfectly flavored and you have a mix of flavors in one package!
- carrot - carrot gives the curry such a nice sweetness.
- celery - celery is amazing in curry! It has a special taste and when cooked - has such a soft texture.
- green beans - you can use different types of beans in this curry, but I prefer green beans for their color and texture.
- broccoli - broccoli is a must in curry! But make sure you are using precooked broccoli otherwise it might be harder to digest.
- canned coconut milk - coconut milk in curry is a must, but don't worry, if you are running out of coconut milk, search for coconut yogurt or any type of a plant-based milk alternative.
- coconut yogurt - this ingredient is optional, but it makes the creamiest curry ever.
- lemon juice - lemon juice works with every recipe. In this curry lemon juice combined all the flavors.
POSSIBLE INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS
This recipe is easily customizable. Here are some ideas:
- You can replace coconut milk with any type of plant-based milk.
- Green beans can be easily replaceable with any beans of your choice.
- You can also add tofu/tempeh to the curry for some extra protein.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
To make this simple veggie coconut curry recipe, you will need to sautee the garlic and curry seasoning in a large saucepan until golden.
Then add veggies and roast them for about 5 minutes.
When the flavors are combined add coconut milk and cook until the veggies are soft.
Lastly, season with salt pepper, add coconut yogurt, and lemon juice. Enjoy!
Serve this vegan vegetable curry with freshly cooked rice noodles and some extra drizzle of coconut yogurt on top.
You can also serve this curry with jasmine rice, millet, quinoa, or naan bread.
Don't forget to fry tofu and serve it with this delicious yellow vegetable curry. Tofu is perfect with any type of curry, so definitely don't skip this step!
Store this gluten-free and vegan curry in the fridge for up to 2 days.
You can also freeze the curry for up to 1 month. But keep in mind the longer the curry is in the freezer the less fresh it will taste.
Why is my curry so watery?
If your curry is watery, you probably added too much liquid. But you can cook it for about 10 minutes to reduce the size or you can mix 1 tsp cornstarch with 1/3 cup milk and pour it into the curry.
The cornstarch will thicken the curry easily.
But make sure the cornstarch is mixed with cold milk, otherwise, it might create some lumps in the curry.
Does coconut milk thicken curry?
The coconut milk can thicken the curry. However, it depends on how much fat the coconut milk has. The coconut milk with a higher percentage of fat will thicken the curry easily.
But I recommend adding coconut yogurt for thickening the curry. It will make the curry way creamier.
But if you only have canned coconut milk cook until your desired consistency.
If the coconut milk is too watery, simply add cornstarch and milk mixture and it will thicken the curry easily.
Is curry better the longer you cook it?
Yes, the curry tastes better the longer you cook it. It also tastes better the other day when all the flavors are combined.
But keep an eye on the veggies when cooking the curry. Don't overcook them, otherwise, they might become mushy.
What is a good substitute for coconut milk?
You can substitute coconut milk with any plant-based milk of your choice, but keep in mind by changing the coconut flavor, the curry will taste different.
If you don't have canned coconut milk, I highly recommend mixing plant milk with coconut yogurt. It will create a failproof consistency and flavors!
What spice can I use instead of curry?
Curry seasoning is a blend of different types of spices. You can buy individual spices and create your curry seasoning.
Curry usually contains turmeric, chili, coriander, cumin, ginger, black pepper, fenugreek, etc.
MORE CURRY RECIPES:
EASY VEGAN TOFU CURRY WITH COCONUT YOGURT
VEGAN EGGPLANT AND CHICKPEA CURRY
SIMPLE RED LENTIL CURRY WITH VEGETABLES
Simple veggie coconut curry recipe - gluten-free vegan
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp curry spices
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup broccoli *precooked
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup coconut yogurt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- In a large saucepan heat the oil and fry the garlic with curry spices for about 1 minute or until golden.
- Next, add veggies and sautee for about 5-8 minutes.
- Pour the coconut milk over the veggies and cook until soft.
- Lastly, add coconut yogurt, salt, pepper to taste, and lemon juice.
- Serve with rice noodles and crispy fried tofu. Enjoy!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST YOU CAN FOLLOW ME HERE, AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE ON YOUR GLUTEN-FREE & VEGAN DINNER BOARD!
This recipe was created on 24.9.2020 and updated on 21.3.2022.
Thanks so much for this delicious recipe, I loved it and that was a great tip to use coconut yogurt to make it thick and creamy!
Yes, coconut yogurt is the best part!
This recipe is simply incredible! I love how simple and flavorful it is! I will definitely be making it again!
Thank you s lot!
This is such a perfect coconut curry! I love the delicious spices and how fragrant it is. It was such a great idea to serve with rice noodles!
Thank you so much!
perfect curry sauce for my rice bowl! now what protein should i use?
Thank you! You can use tofu, chickpeas, or even tempeh!
We tried this last night and loved how creamy and delicious it was! The kitchen smelled amazing! Looking forward to putting this on a regular weeknight rotation.
Amazing! Glad you like it!
I swear I crave curry atleast 3 times a month and this variation is divine. Thank you so much!
Thank you so much! Enjoy!
this is exactly what I needed, so fresh, so flavourful. I love this curry
Thank you! Enjoy!
love the smell of coconut milk in this curry, so flavorful!
Coconut curry always smells so good!
The seasoning on this was perfect!