Eggless carrot cake is a delicious and healthy dessert that can be enjoyed by everyone. This gluten-free and vegan version of the classic carrot cake recipe is perfect for those who are looking for a healthier option.
It is made with wholesome ingredients such as oat flour, coconut oil, and brown sugar, this cake is not only rich in flavor but also packed with essential nutrients. Whether you're a vegan, gluten-intolerant, or just looking for a guilt-free treat, this eggless carrot cake is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Learn how to make carrot cake at home!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS EGGLESS CARROT CAKE
- Vegan – This cake is perfect for your vegan friends or family! But this gluten-free carrot cake is suitable for everyone, not only for vegans/vegetarians.
- Gluten-free – This best eggless carrot cake recipe is naturally gluten-free.
- Dairy-free - This recipe is also dairy-free.
- Easy to make – The full recipe for carrot cake recipe without eggs is so easy and simple.
- Carrots - This is the main ingredient of this recipe. It makes the whole cake moist and packed with a delicious sweet flavor.
- Buttercream frosting - This carrot cake wouldn't be complete without a creamy buttery frosting. The frosting is a coconut flavor with sweet undertones. What a delicious combination.
- Soy milk + ground flax seeds - Combining flax seeds with soy milk will create gel-like consistency. Soaked flax seeds can also act as an egg replacement in this recipe.
- Brown sugar - Any sugar is ok in this recipe, but brown has more caramel flavor which is perfect in this easy carrot cake recipe without eggs.
- Vanilla - No cake is complete without vanilla.
- Melted coconut oil - Coconut oil works best in this vegan carrot cake recipe. It makes this cake moist.
- Gluten-free oat flour, rice flour, and buckwheat flour - This is the best flour combination for this recipe.
- Ground walnuts - Walnuts and carrots are a delicious combination. If you don't have ground walnuts, pulse whole walnuts a few times in a food processor.
- Baking powder and baking soda - This combination is a must in any gluten-free recipe. By adding baking powder and baking soda you will make the fluffiest cake.
- Cinnamon - This is a very important spice in this recipe. The combination of carrots, walnuts, and cinnamon is so good!
- A pinch of salt - Every recipe needs a little salt. Salt will enhance flavors so this carrot cake will be yummier.
- Shredded carrots - The star of this recipe. Carrots give a nice color to this cake and make it moist and fluffy. You should use finely grated carrots.
COCONUT BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- Cornstarch + coconut milk - This is a base for the frosting. Cook it until thick and creamy and you have the perfect base for the frosting.
- Softened butter - Butter is much needed for a buttercream frosting. Make sure your butter is at room temperature.
- Powdered sugar - You can use any powdered sweetener.
POSSIBLE INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS
This recipe is easily customizable. Here are some ideas:
- You can replace soy milk with any plant-based milk.
- Brown sugar can be replaced with any powdered sweetener of your choice.
Gluten-free carrot cake:
Step 1: In a large bowl combine soy milk with a flax meal and set it aside for about 5-10 minutes or until it creates gel-like consistency. It will be very runny but it should mimic the texture of egg whites.
Step 2: Now it's time to add vanilla, sugar, and melted coconut oil. Make sure all of these ingredients have room temperature otherwise the coconut oil might change the consistency.
Step 3: Now, it's time to add dry ingredients, which are oat flour, buckwheat flour, rice flour, ground walnuts, baking powder, baking, soda, cinnamon, and salt. Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet and carefully combine.
Lastly, add shredded carrots and carefully combine them.
Step 4: Pour the batter into the square baking pan and bake for about 45 mins.
Coconut buttercream frosting:
Step 1: In a small saucepan cook coconut milk with cornstarch until thick. Don't forget to stir the mixture until it's very thick. Remove from the heat and cool it down to room temperature.
Step 2: In the large bowl whisk butter with powdered sugar until fluffy. Slowly add the cornstarch mixture and whisk until combined. The consistency should be very creamy and airy.
Step 3: This is the last step of this recipe. When the cake is baked and cooled down decorate it with buttercream frosting and enjoy!
Serve this eggless carrot cake with a cup of tea or coffee. You can also decorate the frosting with crushed walnuts. Enjoy!
Store this dairy-free egg-free carrot cake in a fridge for up to 4 days. But it is best eaten fresh. You can also store it in a freezer for up to 1 month.
TIPS FOR THE BEST EGGLESS CARROT CAKE
- Use listed gluten-free flours. Don't try to replace these flours. This combination works best in this recipe.
- Use baking powder with baking soda together. By using both ingredients the cake will be so fluffy.
- Shred the carrot very fine. You can also use a food processor. The carrots shouldn't be visible in the cake.
- All of the ingredients should be a room temperature.
How long does carrot cake last?
You can store it in a fridge for up to 4 days. But the cake is best eaten within the first 2 days.
Can I freeze this gluten-free carrot cake?
Yes! You can freeze this carrot cake for up to 1 month!
Why is my carrot cake dry?
This sometimes happens if the cake is overbaked. Make sure to remove the cake from the oven as soon as the toothpick comes out clean usually after 40-45 minutes.
More carrot recipes:
Eggless carrot cake - gluten-free
- 1 cup soy milk
- 3 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
Coconut buttercream frosting
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl add soy milk and a flax meal. Set it aside for about 5-10 minutes.
- After a few minutes add vanilla, brown sugar, and melted coconut oil, and combine.
- Next, add oat flour, buckwheat flour, rice flour, ground walnuts, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Carefully combine and create a smooth dough. If needed add 2 tbsp of milk. The consistency should be thicker but creamy.
- Lastly, add shredded carrots and cinnamon, and lightly combine.
- Pour the batter into a square baking pan (9" or 22cm) and bake at 350F (180C) for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare coconut frosting by cooking cornstarch with coconut milk. Bring it to a boil and whisk until very thick. Set it aside and cool it down.
- When the cornstarch mixture is cooled down, move to the next step. In a medium-sized bowl add softened vegan butter and sugar. Whisk until fluffy and slowly add the cornstarch mixture. Whisk until combined and airy.
- When the carrot cake is completely baked and cooled down decorate it with coconut frosting. Enjoy!
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST FOLLOW ME HERE,AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE ON YOUR GLUTEN-FREE & VEGAN cakes BOARD!
This recipe was created on 22.10.2020 and updated on 13.3.2023.