This gluten-free buns recipe is so delicious. The buns are soft and fluffy and you won't even know there is no yeast or gluten!
This recipe is very simple and requires only one bowl.
For this recipe, you will need only a handful of ingredients to create these soft and airy buns.
Why you will love these gluten-free buns
- Vegan – These buns are perfect for your vegan friends or family members! But these gluten-free buns are suitable for everyone, not only for vegans/vegetarians.
- Gluten-free – These bread buns are naturally gluten-free.
- Easy to make – The full recipe is so easy and very simple to make!
- So soft - These buns are very soft and light. The inside is airy and it is similar to sourdough.
- No yeast - There is no yeast in this recipe, would you believe this? Psyllium husk created a wonderful texture.
- 100% delicious
What to add to gluten-free flour to make it rise?
In this recipe, I used psyllium husk, baking powder, and baking soda. The combination of these ingredients makes the best gluten-free buns.
There is no need for yeast if you are using psyllium husk. It will mimic the consistency of yeast.
- gluten-free oat flour - This flour is perfect for buns or bread. It is slightly sweet and it has the best consistency.
- buckwheat flour - Buckwheat flour is one of my favorites. It is stretchy and it is perfect for gluten-free baking.
- rice flour - Rice flour creates such a nice and delicate consistency. It has a neutral taste so it is wonderful in this recipe.
- baking powder - Baking powder is a must if you want nice and fluffy buns.
- baking soda - The same thing applies to baking soda, but the combination of both is the best.
- psyllium husk - This is our secret ingredient in making these buns so fluffy and almost like sourdough.
- salt - A pinch of salt in this recipe is much needed.
- flax meal - Flax meal gave these buns such a beautiful color. But a flax meal acts as an egg replacer. It is a wonderful ingredient when it comes to gluten-free baking.
- water - This is a key ingredient. Water will combine everything together.
POSSIBLE INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS
This recipe is easily customizable. Here are some ideas:
- You can replace rice flour with sorghum flour.
- Flax meal can be easily replaceable with chia meal.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1: In a large bowl combine dry ingredients, which are: oat flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, psyllium husk, salt, and flax meal.
Combine and add water.
Step 2: Create a smooth dough. The consistency will be very runny, but you need to sit the dough for about 30 minutes. It will thicken up because of the psyllium husk.
Step 3: After 30 minutes the dough should be thick enough to form buns in your hands. The dough will be sticky, so use water to shape the buns.
Bake them for about 30-40 minutes at 400F (200°C)
Serve these gluten-free buns with vegan butter and chives.
You can also serve them with homemade chili, hummus, or and veggie spread. They can be used in gluten-free burgers as well!
If your buns are harder the next day, you can toast them on the pan from both sides until crispy.
Store these gluten-free slider buns in a cool place for up to 4 days.
You can also freeze them for up to 1 month. However, they are the best freshly baked and eaten within a few hours.
Can you knead gluten-free dough?
The gluten-free dough doesn't have to be kneaded because it doesn't have gluten.
Simply combine all the ingredients and you don't have to worry about kneading the dough.
Does gluten-free dough need to rest?
In this recipe, a gluten-free dough needs to rest because of the psyllium husk. The psyllium husk will thicken up the dough, so it is easier to work with.
How do you make the gluten-free dough more elastic?
Simply by adding psyllium husk and flax meal. These two ingredients work wonderfully. The dough will be stretchy and easy to work with.
More gluten-free bread recipes:
Easy gluten-free buns recipe - no yeast
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 2 tbsp psyllium husk
- 1 cup water
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients, which are oat flour, buckwheat flour, rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, psyllium husk, and water.
- Next, add water and create a smooth batter. The dough will be runny, but you need to let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes the dough will be thick and easy to shape into buns.
- Slightly wet your hands with water and shape 6 medium-sized buns in your hands.
- Bake the buns for about 40 minutes at 400F (200°C). Enjoy.
IF YOU HAVE PINTEREST YOU CAN FOLLOW ME HERE, AND PIN THE FOLLOWING PICTURE ON YOUR GLUTEN-FREE & VEGAN BREAD BOARD!
This post was created on 8.7.2020 and updated on 18.4.2022.