There is nothing better than a soft and fragrant gingerbread cake. The combination of gingerbread spices, chocolate, and plum jam is irresistible. This gluten-free gingerbread cake is perfect for a cozy afternoon.
We all know about gingerbread cookies, but this cake is similar, but it has the consistency of a cloud. The soft cake is topped with sweet and sour plum jam and topped with creamy dark chocolate. This combination is unbelievably delicious.
This is by far the best recipe for gingerbread cake. It is simple, easy and so delicious. The cake has 3 layers in total. The first layer is the gingerbread cake by itself, then the plum jam, and on top is creamy dark chocolate. Try this gluten-free gingerbread layer cake today!
The full recipe is gluten-free, vegan, and dairy-free.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS GLUTEN-FREE GINGERBREAD CAKE
- Vegan – This gingerbread cake is perfect for your vegan friends or family members! But this gluten-free cake is suitable for everyone, not only for vegans/vegetarians.
- Gluten-free – This cake is naturally gluten-free.
- Dairy-free - This recipe is also dairy-free.
- Easy to make – The full recipe is so easy and simple.
- Gingerbread spices - It's a gingerbread cake for a reason. These spices are so fragrant and create a cozy and festive atmosphere.
- Plum jam - The gingerbread cake on its own is delicious, but with a fruity jam on top is way better.
- Chocolate - Chocolate is a must in this recipe. Top the plum jam with melted chocolate and enjoy all the flavors.
- Rice flour, cassava flour, and sorghum flour - These are the best flours for making a gluten-free gingerbread cake.
- Baking powder and baking soda - The best ingredients to make your gluten-free cake extra fluffy.
- Cacao powder and gingerbread spice mix - These are key ingredients for a fragrant gingerbread cake.
- Salt - A pinch of salt is just enough!
- Sugar - You can use whatever sweetener you want, but traditional sugar works the best.
- Soy milk - Soy milk is very important in this recipe because a combination of rapeseed oil and vinegar will create an egg whites consistency.
- Rapeseed oil - Try to use this exact oil for the best results.
- Vinegar - Vinegar or lemon juice will work.
- Plum jam - Plum jam and gingerbread spices are made for each other. Seriously.
- Dark chocolate + vegan butter - Melted vegan chocolate is very crunchy when it hardens. But when you will add a little bit of vegan butter it will be creamy and perfect for this cake.
POSSIBLE INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS
This recipe is easily customizable. Here are some ideas:
- You can replace sugar with any powdered sweetener.
- Vinegar can be replaced with lemon juice.
Step 1: In a large bowl combine dry ingredients, which are flours, baking powder, baking soda, cacao powder, gingerbread spice mix, salt, and sugar.
Step 2: In another bowl combine soy milk, oil, and vinegar. Whisk this mixture until fluffy. The consistency should be similar to whisked egg whites.
Step 3: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine. Bake for about 40 minutes.
Step 4: When the gingerbread cake is done and cooled down spread the plum jam on top. The very last step is to melt the dark chocolate with butter
Serve this flourless gingerbread cake with hot cocoa or coffee.
Store this gluten-free dairy-free cake in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. But this cake is best eaten on the first day.
Tips for how to make the perfect gluten-free vegan gingerbread cake
- Use gluten-free flours listed below. You can use a gluten-free flour mix, but the result might not be the same. Always try to use the exact flours.
- Use unsweetened soy milk. The combination of rapeseed oil, unsweetened soy milk, and vinegar will create an almost foamy texture similar to whisked egg whites.
- Use plum jam. Not any other jam, only plum jam.
What makes gluten-free gingerbread rise?
For this cake to rise you will need baking powder, baking soda, and vinegar. These are the main ingredients that will make any gluten-free cake rise.
Can I use different types of jam in this recipe?
No. This cake needs plum jam. The gingerbread spice with plum jam goes well perfectly.
Can I use coconut oil instead of rapeseed oil?
No. You need to use rapeseed oil because with a combination of unsweetened soy milk, you will create consistency just like egg whites.
More gingerbread recipes:
Gluten-free gingerbread cake - vegan
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1/3 cup sorghum flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp gingerbread spice mix
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup soy milk *unsweetened
- 1/3 cup rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp vinegar *lemon juice
- 3/4 cup plum jam
- 8 oz dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- In a large bowl combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cacao powder, gingerbread spice mix, salt, and sugar.
- In another bowl combine soy milk, oil, and vinegar. Whisk until airy and fluffy. It should mimic the egg whites when beaten.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and combine.
- Pour the batter into a 9-inch baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400F (200°C) for about 35-40 minutes.
- Cool down the cake completely and spread the plum jam on top. Melt the dark chocolate with vegan butter and pour it on top. Enjoy!